The 12 Days of Holiday Safety
Water fresh trees daily. It's time to trim that Christmas tree, and if
you're using a real tree, buy a fresh tree and keep the base of the trunk
in water at all times. Keep your tree away from any ignition source such
as the fireplace, heaters or candles.
Check all sets of lights before decorating. Before you put those lights on
the tree or around the front window check the cords closely. Discard any
sets that are frayed or damaged.
Make sure you have working smoke alarms. With family and friends spending
extra time at your home over the holidays, it's a great time to check your
smoke alarms. Replace smoke alarms if they are over 10 years old. Remember
that you need working smoke alarms on every storey of your home and
outside all sleeping areas. Test your alarms to make sure they will alert
you and your family if a fire occurs, giving you the precious seconds you
need to safely escape.
Make sure you have working carbon monoxide alarms. Carbon monoxide is an
invisible, odourless gas that can quickly kill you. Replace any carbon
monoxide alarms over seven years old. Installing carbon monoxide alarms in
your home will alert you to the presence of this deadly gas.
Make sure everyone knows how to get out safely if a fire occurs. Develop
and practise a home fire escape plan with all members of the household and
make sure someone helps young children, older adults or anyone else that
may need assistance to evacuate. Once outside, stay outside and call 911
from a cell phone or neighbours house.
Use extension cords wisely. People often use extension cords for that
extra set of lights or the dancing Santa in the corner. Extension cords
should be used only as a temporary connection. Make sure cords never go
under rugs as this can cause damage to the cord and cause a fire.
Give space heaters space. If you are using space heaters to help take the
chill off, remember to keep them at least one metre (3 feet) away from
anything that can burn such as curtains, upholstery, or holiday
When you go out, blow out! Candles can set the perfect mood for a holiday
celebration, but remember to always blow out candles before leaving the
room or going to bed. Keep lit candles safely away from children and pets
and anything that can burn, such as curtains, upholstery, or holiday
Keep matches and lighters out of the sight and reach of children. People
often keep matches and lighters handy to light holiday candles. But
matches and lighters can be deadly in the hands of children. If you smoke,
have only one lighter or book of matches and keep them with you at all
Watch what you heat! The holiday season is one of the busiest times of the
year, which means it's easy to get distracted from what we are doing.
Cooking fires most commonly occur when cooking is left unattended. Always
stay in the kitchen when cooking . especially if using oil or high
temperatures. If a pot catches fire, carefully slide a tight-fitting lid
over the pot to smother the flames and then turn off the heat.
Encourage smokers to smoke outside. Careless smoking is the leading cause
of fatal fires. If you do allow smoking indoors use large, deep ashtrays
that can't be knocked over and make sure cigarette butts are properly
There's more to responsible drinking than taking a cab home. With all the
festive cheer this time of year, keep a close eye on anyone attempting to
cook or smoke while under the influence of alcohol. Alcohol is all too
often a common factor in many fatal fires.